Freezing a movie frame with a painting effect¶
That’s an effect that we have seen a lot in westerns and such.
The recipe used to make a photo look like a painting:
- Find the edges of the image with the Sobel algorithm. You obtain what looks like a black and white hand-drawing of the photo.
- Multiply the image array to make the colors flashier, and add the contours obtained at the previous step.
The final clip will be the concatenation of three part: the part before the effect, the part with the effect, and the part after the effect. The part with the effect is obtained as follows:
- Take the frame to freeze and make a “painted image” of it. Make it a clip.
- Add a text clip saying “Audrey” to the “painted image” clip.
- Overlay the painted clip over the original frame, but make it appear and disappear with a fading effect.
Here you are for the code:
""" requires scikit-image installed (for vfx.painting) """ from moviepy.editor import * # WE TAKE THE SUBCLIPS WHICH ARE 2 SECONDS BEFORE & AFTER THE FREEZE charade = VideoFileClip("../../videos/charade.mp4") tfreeze = cvsecs(19,21) # Time of the freeze, 19'21 # when using several subclips of a same clip, it can be faster # to create 'coreaders' of the clip (=other entrance points). clip_before = charade.coreader().subclip(tfreeze -2,tfreeze) clip_after = charade.coreader().subclip(tfreeze ,tfreeze +2) # THE FRAME TO FREEZE im_freeze = charade.to_ImageClip(tfreeze) painting = (charade.fx( vfx.painting, saturation = 1.6,black = 0.006) .to_ImageClip(tfreeze) txt = TextClip('Audrey',font='Amiri-regular',fontsize=35) painting_txt = (CompositeVideoClip([painting,txt.set_pos((10,180))]) .add_mask() .set_duration(3) .crossfadein( 0.5) .crossfadeout( 0.5)) # FADEIN/FADEOUT EFFECT ON THE PAINTED IMAGE painting_fading = CompositeVideoClip([im_freeze,painting_txt]) # FINAL CLIP AND RENDERING final_clip = concatenate_videoclips([ clip_before, painting_fading.set_duration(3), clip_after]) final_clip.write_videofile('../../audrey.avi',fps=charade.fps, codec = "mpeg4", audio_bitrate="3000k")